When your company collects, stores, and processes data from European Union (EU) and United Kingdom (UK) residents, you are subject to the Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You don’t need to be a European company to rack up millions of pounds in fines and penalties. The GDPR applies to any company who collects data from the EU and UK. GDPR compliance software can help.
What is GDPR Compliance Software?
GDPR compliance software is suitable for small and large businesses alike. Depending on the software type, it can help you manage data security, consent practices and the data itself.
The software can include:
- Consent management: Under Article 32 of the GDPR, companies must have “freely given, specific, informed, and unambiguous consent” to collect data. Consent management tools make it easy for customers to specify exactly which data they wish to share with your company. It also allows them to opt out of data collection entirely. Consent management may include email, tracking cookies, and other touchpoints where your company collects sensitive information.
- Data security: GDPR compliance requires strict data security measures. Some software is designed to make this easier—especially if you don’t already have a data security plan in place. Companies may choose to implement data security tools rather than having their IT department build processes from scratch.
- Customer data: Finally, GDPR compliance software can make it easy for both customers and companies to manage customer data. The GDPR requires that EU and UK residents have access to their personal information and may download their data or delete it, among other protections. GDPR compliance software can make these processes easier, especially if you’re just starting out.
Privacy and GDPR Compliance Software Tools
While the features may change, GDPR compliance software typically offers the following:
- Access control: Access control features allow companies to monitor their database, create secure passwords, restrict data sharing, and otherwise protect sensitive customer data from hackers and breaches.
- Audit trail: If your business suffers a data breach, compliance software will track changes and create an audit trail for GDPR reporting.
- Consent management: These features allow customers to opt out of data collection, or customize what the company can store, process and share.
- Dashboard: Nearly all GDPR compliance software will offer a dashboard, which allows a “big picture” view of sensitive data, its classifications and how it’s used, stored and protected.
- Data governance: These tools help companies monitor data storage and usage. They allow companies to map their sensitive data and identify any risks in the process. Finally, these tools allow companies to respond to deletion requests and other data management issues.
- Incident management: If there are issues with your data collection, storage and processing, this feature will generate automated workflow processes to respond and document data breaches.
- Notifications: A notification feature alerts administrators about potential breaches. It might be customized to send alerts about user requests and new compliance requirements. The latter is especially useful when you don’t have time to monitor GDPR changes on a regular basis—the software will do it for you.
Which features are crucial to your company depends on your specific needs. You may be able to find software tools that completely manage your GDPR compliance concerns. That makes it faster and easier to stay in compliance, no matter how large or small the company.
SixFifty and GDPR Compliance
Our GDPR privacy products allow you to generate customized privacy policies in no time. Just answer a few questions about your business, then let our automated processes (backed by the expertise of top lawyers) create a policy for you. Download and send to your legal team for review. That’s all it takes to get the paperwork done.
The Bottom Line
Use the feature descriptions above to guide your choices. An era of easier compliance has arrived.
For more information about SixFifty’s GDPR privacy products, and how they can help your business, reach out to us today. We’d love to schedule a demo and show you why our customers love us.