Artificial Intelligence (AI) is here to stay. Its use in the workplace can help to streamline processes, automate repetitive tasks, and provide data-driven insights. However, its limitations and biases can be problematic. To ensure responsible AI use, companies should have a robust AI in the Workplace Policy.
Does my company need an AI policy?
AI can help you enhance your business operations and boost productivity. By automating repetitive tasks, AI can free up your employees to focus on more creative and strategic tasks. But leaving some human-centric tasks to the machines, so to speak, can leave an organization open to legal liability.
It is important for organizations to stay apprised of changes to laws and regulations around this newly widespread tech and to have a written policy around the acceptable uses of AI in your organization.
Five components of a good AI policy
A good AI policy contains all the information employees need to know about whether AI is permitted in the workplace, and if so, its proper uses and limitations. Employment policies should be written with clarity so employees know exactly what to expect. This is especially true for issues that are new and evolving across industries.
Here are the essential components of a robust AI policy:
- Explain whether your company allows, limits, or prohibits the use of AI in the workplace. Your organization may generously allow its use, limit it to specific platforms or narrowly defined tasks, or prohibit AI altogether. Make sure your rule is clear to all employees.
- Provide rules and procedures for the proper use of AI. This technology may have the power to positively impact workers’ daily lives and skill sets, but employees may require specific guidance of its proper usage. When should employees use AI and for which tasks? List a contact person or department for employees who have questions or concerns about the proper use of AI in your organization.
- Outline security risks and prohibit the use of sensitive data. An organization’s intellectual property is often its most important resource. AI should not be used in any way that may harm the organization. AI generators learn from data, so employees should be cautious about the information they provide to any AI. Avoid using AI for confidential matters, like private employee communication. Never input company secrets into AI platforms.
- Require employee review of AI-generated work. Using AI is a collaborative process between humans and computers. AI can be useful at many stages of the work process, but it should never be used as the final step. There is no algorithm for truth, and outputs may be inaccurate, misrepresented, or even completely made up! AI may also contain biases that impact its outputs. All AI outputs should be reviewed by a human for clarity, truthfulness, and accuracy. Employees should be held accountable for errors in the AI work that they generate and review.
- List permitted AI platforms. There are several AI platforms that are widely used in business and education right now, with evolving technology always in the works. A useful AI policy should list the platforms that employees are allowed to utilize in the workplace. Be specific and update this policy regularly with new allowances.
How do I create an AI policy?
One trustworthy way to create a legal AI policy for your workplace is to hire an attorney to draft it for you. Laws and regulations on AI in the workplace are sure to change and evolve over time as technology advances, so this policy will require periodic adjustments. The back-and-forth communication with an in-house attorney or law firm will rack up some major billable hours. But you don’t want to risk using a cheap online template that is not guaranteed to protect your organization or your employees.
SixFifty can help. SixFifty’s Employment Docs helps companies create employment policies with the best legal expertise engine on the planet. All customized to your needs, and all with the highest quality legal language available. When laws change or new technology affects your policies, you can update your handbook with the click of a button.
SixFifty has a FREE customizable AI in the Workplace Policy! Created by legal experts, our policy is tailored for businesses of all sizes.